Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tornadoes=Temper Tantrums

It's one of those eerie moments where the world outside the window is dark and chilling, black clouds are blanketing everything, and you see a herd of twisters lowering from the sky, destroying everything in their paths.

And worse, they're coming right for your house.


The hairs on your arms stand on end and a certain panic sets in, and, immediately, more than anything else, you're desperate to make sure every member of your family is accounted for. Moving with a haste you've never moved at, you rush into the basement, kids in arms, to find the most appropriate place to hide.

Then the panic deepens when you find that there just aren't any safe, good hiding spots, and the freight trains are growing louder as they close in on you.

This is it. The moment that will undoubtedly end it all.

So you crouch wherever you can--be it in the water heater room because there are no windows, or just in the bathtub--holding your children against you as the sound of terror and destruction sounds right outside the window. With tense muscles and a racing heart, you cling to them, praying that if death is involved, you'll all get to experience it together so that no one is left behind.

But they never hit.

Eventually, as the raging quiets and your heart rate slows, you look out the window to find that they've either dissipated or completely missed your house.

Maybe these dreams are inspired by recent terrible events in Missouri, etc., or maybe it's just because I can't get a handle on things. Either way, it's a reoccurring dream I've had a lot since the time I was very young, with the exception of a few varying details each time. The dreams come and go in spurts, sometimes occurring every night for weeks before they go months, sometimes years, without coming again.

And they've returned again. So I was curious what they meant this time.

When I was a kid, I thought it was just because I had a fascination with tornadoes (the dreams were always stressful, dark, and scary, but they were kind of cool, so I never considered them "nightmares."), and instead of scrambling to get my kids, I was desperate to find my cat so that I could protect her.

But now that I'm an adult, the exciting factor is gone, and this morning I realized there's probably more to it than a creepy childhood fascination.

So, thanks to Dream Moods, it all makes sense. Especially the first part, which I've bolded.

Damn those temper tantrums.


To see a tornado in your dream, suggests that you are experiencing some extreme emotional outbursts and temper tantrums. Is there a situation or relationship in your life that may be potentially destructive?

To dream that you are in a tornado, means that you are feeling overwhelmed and out of control. Your plans will be filled with much complications and you will be met with a series of disappointments.

To see several tornadoes in your dream, represent people around you who are prone to violent outbursts and shifting mood swings. It may also symbolize a volatile situation or relationship.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I hope things settle down for you soon! Scary dreams, lady!
P.S. You should sign up for a Twitter account. Then we can "tweet" about our temper tantrums together ;)

Anonymous said...

Dreams can tell us so much! It's crazy. I know you can get through this!