Friday, December 12, 2008

Job Dilema

Well, I wont go into details because the details may change very soon but we found out yesterday that we have to make a very difficult decision and only have one week (until next Friday) to decide. Dave's company offered incentives to every employee today to voluntarily leave the company so they could cut costs and avoid more layoffs. It has been going down hill over the last month or so and we have been praying on pins and needles that we can keep his job AT LEAST until after the baby comes but things don't always go the way you want them to. They want to cut their employees down by a huge amount and if it doesn't happen with this incentive situation they are going to have to do more layoffs....which they are probably going to end up doing anyway, with the way things are looking. We have heard many rumors and things that might just be hearsay....like that they will be laying people off next week...or that they will January 1st...or like that Bagdad will eventually be closed down completely...or on the other hand, they wouldn't want to lose their only industrial hygienist. But we don't know how valid any of these things are because we haven't heard them directly from the company.

It's actually quite unfair to expect someone to make a decision like this with NO information. They haven't given us really any info at all as far as the odds if people stay, what it will look like, what package they will offer, if any at all, if they do lay you off, etc. etc. etc. How is someone supposed to make a life changing decision like that, especially when they have a family to provide for, with no info?! It's quite stressful and we wish they wouldn't make US choose whether or not we want to keep our jobs.

The scariest thing to us (or me, anyway) is the fact that I'm due in two months and I REALLY don't want to be moving in that time and have to worry about insurance, hospitals, new doctors, etc. in that time! I want to be here in our house with my hospital, my insurance, my dr. when I have the baby! But we are willing to do whatever the will of the Lord is, and we are aware that sometimes that will can be very difficult. We are fasting/praying this week and Dave is going to try and get more information on Monday so that by the end of the week we can make a more informed decision. We do have faith that no matter what happens we will know or feel sure about the decision we do make by the end of the week and that whatever it is it will all work out!

We either take the incentive and know we'd be out of a job for sure and have the stress of moving back in with the Meyers (don't get me wrong...the fact that we'd be with and see family again is VERY tempting...) and starting all over again, trying to find another job in this economy, or stick around in the hopes that we can keep his job for a while (which is possible!)....and then if we do get layed off, get no incentive.

Three months ago, and and especially when we moved here 11 months ago, we never would have thought we'd be in this situation this soon! It all kind of happened so fast! Anyway, we'll keep everyone updated.

3 comments:

The Jacksons said...

Crazy. Keep us updated. I will tell you, I moved doctors, insurances, states, everything, when I was 32 weeks along. It was crazy, but it was what had to be done.
Something will work out, whatever it is! Good luck this week.

Steve, Jillian, and Addison said...

You guys are in our prayers. Sorry you have to be going through this right now. We love you and hope for the best for you.

yettie/jessie said...

oh man jenny that sucks i am so sorry. that would be a hard thing to decide i am sure dave is a wreck. I have to say that if it wasn't for you being preggers i would say take the insentive and run but i totally see were you are coming from with not wanting to go any where until the baby comes, You should see i they will at least keep Dave for 2 or 3 more months ust till your pregancy is over maybe.