Friday, June 24, 2011

Red Writing Hood: Life...in a flash.

*Post inspired by this week's TRDC Red Writing Hood: "Flash Fiction can be fun and a real challenge. This week focus on the words and the strength of each to contribute to your story. Write a 300 word piece using the following word for inspiration: LIFE."

Flash Fiction. Eek. Not sure if this fits all the plot elements that are supposed to be creatively fit into flash fiction, but here's a pretty good short story within my story (The Exception) using "Life" as the inspiration (in 292 words, to be exact).

In past posts from this novel, Elanor was an adult, but as you'll see from this excerpt, Sam was with her as a child as well.

For the other two posts about Elanor, Sam, and even the protagonist, Jamie, click here (Happy Non-end) and here (Beauty Downfall).


Elanor’s seven-year-old stare was intent.  “I know you’re him, Sam—our guardian.”
Sam paused, stunned she knew so much.  With her hand still in his, they stopped walking and he looked down on her, into the eyes he’d do anything for—even if it meant living a miserable eternity as an immortal.  He’d never thought of himself as a guardian, only someone put in place to oversee.  But the gnawing reminder of how he’d veered off that course once before made the title seem fitting, even in his failures.  And now he was doing it again.
“Are you an angel, Sam?”
He chuckled.  “I don’t think so.  Not the last time I checked, anyway.”
“What are you then?”  Her freckled brow pulled together and her pink, full lips nearly pouted.  It was her traditional display of frustration and he tried not smile.
“I know you trust me, Lanor, so do you think you can keep trusting me, even though I can’t tell you everything?  Just know that I will always be around to make sure you’re safe, because that’s why I’m here.”
She lowered her eyes, and her shoulders.
He put his finger under her chin and raised it toward him.  “And it’s not because I don’t think you’ll understand.  It’s because I don’t know how much I’m allowed to tell you.  But I know that because you are so grown-up, you will understand that.  You will know that sometimes, that’s the way life works.”
Her eyes softened, his words lifting her shoulders.
“Besides,” he lightheartedly continued as he started forward again, “don’t you think the secret makes our friendship extra special?”
She smiled again, the beginnings of another tooth slowly filling the gap from a month ago.  “Yeah,” she dreamily replied.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how every excerpt you post is it's own little story. I'm excited to see how they all weave together...
Great job!!

Anonymous said...

I love how every excerpt you post is it's own little story. I'm excited to see how they all weave together...
Great job!!

Jen said...

Awesome excerpt, as usual! I LOVE your writing, Jennie!! Please don't stop...ever :)

Galit Breen said...

I love how he talks to her protecting and trusting at the same time.

i also love that he's the angel or guardian, but still a work in progress. That's a pretty powerful lesson, for all of us really.

And last, but least, I love that you fit this into your WIP!

Monk Family said...

So here's my email for future reference, maybe the one linked to my blog is old? littlemonkfamily@gmail.com

(ps-don't be mad but to avoid drama with the in-laws I took off your comment, but I so appreciate it!) And I can't tell you how much I love reading your blog-it gives me something to look forward to. Truly, lately it is the ONLY blog I enjoy reading for reasons previously mentioned! So keep posting!

The Lovely One said...

I love that this Guardian is flawed. Even our protectors doubt themselves at times!

Unknown said...

Oh, you are really pulling me in to this story. I want to know more. Well done!